Mans Worst Nightmare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
welcome to the forums guys please keep active and enjoy your stay....REMEMBER TO BOOKMARK THE SITE!
MwN Ventrilo info: shadow.typefrag.com port: 13082 feel free to use

Drive in Sci-Fi: The Navy VS The Night Monster (1966)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Strazdas
Commander
Commander
Strazdas

Drive in Sci-Fi: The Navy VS The Night Monster (1966) Empty
PostSubject: Drive in Sci-Fi: The Navy VS The Night Monster (1966)   Drive in Sci-Fi: The Navy VS The Night Monster (1966) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:48 am

Drive in Sci-Fi: The Navy VS The Night Monster (1966) Thenavyvsthenightmonste

Irregularities of my reviews are probably raising some eybrows by now. The weekends are taken over for me atm as i am building myself a new flat to live in. There was a reviews supposed to happen two days ago, however since i tried the elder scrolls: III morrowind that day things got derailed for two days. you know, the mania of new game. Though some would argue that game of the year of 2002 isnt "new". anyway, enough excuses, lets get on with it.
The title itself is already histeriuos. And we begin once again with a narration about Antarctica and what the hell it is. I g uess in 66 not that many people were aware of a thing called geography. Then we see a very long scene in the plane of pilots being brought food. supposedly its a cargo plane going to some island that supposedly has a girlfriend of one of the pilots on it. I smell stereotypical trouble already. Which gets me thinking, what does The Navy has to do with a cargo plane...
And my question is answered, when we see the navy guy filling up balloons. thats what the navy is doing in this place, filling balloons. supposedly its part of their training, so if someone could enlighten me on where they picked it up there feel free.
So the cargo ship is coming and supposedly some of the locals want to get off. local navy guys that is. Soon we find out that government found a place in Antarctica that is heated by underground water and it is filled with indigenous thousands year old vegetation. the plane has the samples. one of the guys on the plane goes crazy and jumps off.
Back at the tower people are wondering what they are doing. The ship eventually crash-lands in the base. They jump in and find a bunch of penguins in cargo (is this the indigenous plant life?) and no humans. Then they find one of the pilots in shock. He cant hear or speak. They investigate the disappearance of others, but with no success. The local scientist seems to find something however. a liquid that eats into the floor of the plane, sounds like acid to me. it can be a Lye technically, but i never saw a movie putting that as a reason. They want to blame the cpatain for it, since he cant speak anything yet, a realistic approach but bad for our supposed hero.
The navy leaders decide to do a more throughout investigation and send in help, howeer the local scientist does trying to see what the ship cargo was. one penguin missing but the plants are ok, and we get to see them finally, so it was carrying more than penguins. didnt look like it when they entered the ship before. There also are at least a couple love triangles going on, and it doesnt seem to matter much at the moment, but as we saw in previous movies it can be a driving force behind a movie. During a night the pilot wakes up, almost strangles a person and attacks another officer, but he puts him down. The pilot seems to have wrecked the storehouse however. Penguins are gone too, those poor fellas. Im sure this isnt the pilots doing. The pilot regresses into vegetable. a local civilian calls him a fake and gets beat up by captain for it.
Then one of the strnagest quotes happen. a guy with a dog is chasing after the dog which sees something. he then spouts "next time ill get a dog its going to be a vegetarian". I did some looking up and there acutally are such dogs. however PETA says it may be hazardous to thier health. On the other hand, Guinness record book entry, a 27 year old dog was a vegetarian. so there.
The next scene, one of the ladies got some of the liquid on her shoulder and it burns her, but they wash it with water quickly and it stops. this is the actually medically advised tactic, plenty of water to minimize the effects. at least this movies creators look like they had common sense.
then, my theory is broken. a guy shouts and from that a cliff explodes. Thats one weird scene. next scene its day already and people are missing. this feels like part of them ovie were simply missing. they go to springs on the island to find something, when there are problems in your own base, in like 10 seconds after that explosion scene. this is definitely strange. What they find is a man with erosion all over him, as if he been eaten by an acid. One of the guys play a Bermuda triangle angle and thing this occurrence is similar. well i guess weird people can have weird ideas.
Then the monster are the dog and yet another stupid guy who went into the forest alone. Then it eats the generator. its not picky at all. Then more people die. They also find out that oil kill small creatures they found ton the island together with the begining of all this. so they decide that oil is defencive barrier. makes sense, put oil on plant - it dies.
They figure out its a plan killer and kill it. they decide to evacuate. Then it turns out there are thousands of the creatures coming in to attack. So they decide to make napalm bombs to attack it. This suceeeds and this is the end.

Story: 6/10. well the story ran ok most of the time.
Acting: 4/10. pretty bad but excusable.
Sound: 1/10. typically bad.
Sci factor: 7/10. other than the explanation of "plant making babies" it was fine.
Lasting Appeal: 2/10. a plant monster we all saw before.
Overall rating: 4/10.
Back to top Go down

Drive in Sci-Fi: The Navy VS The Night Monster (1966)
Page 1 of 1