Mans Worst Nightmare
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
welcome to the forums guys please keep active and enjoy your stay....REMEMBER TO BOOKMARK THE SITE!
MwN Ventrilo info: shadow.typefrag.com port: 13082 feel free to use

my Dragon Age 2 review

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army
shadow

my Dragon Age 2 review Empty
PostSubject: my Dragon Age 2 review   my Dragon Age 2 review Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 am

So here is my Dragon Age 2 review for you all. *updated with more info*

my Dragon Age 2 review Da13t.th

*NOTE* may contain small spoilers

So out of a lack of anything decent to play recently I decided against my original wish to buy Dragon Age 2 which is a role-playing video game developed by Bioware, and published by Electronic Arts. It is the second major game in the Dragon Age franchise.

my Dragon Age 2 review Da1xw.th

The game is set in the world of Thedas, and Dragon Age II tells the story of Hawke, who fled the nation of Ferelden during the events of Dragon Age: Origins and arrived in the neighbouring state of Kirkwall as a refugee.

The game covers roughly a decade and is told in a very interesting a novel way, through the eyes of one of his companions at that time in a series of flash backs, fleshing out the story of how Hawke worked his way from a refugee up to the champion of Kirkwall.

The story begins with Hawke and family (their mother Leandra and twin siblings Carver and Bethany) fleeing from Darkspawn after Ferelden's defeat at Ostagar (a major part of the first Dragon age, origins), I really don’t want to get into the story line here, its in-depth and does a fabulous job of filling out events and adding the the lore of Thedas, it is engaging and very enjoyable to be part of.

the story seems to be running just before events of dragon age origins or parallel, but actually i found it a little hard to place exactly when these events where going on, mainly due to the huge time line of this game as stated earlier covering around a decade of time.

quests in this game are obtained from main story NPC's which advance the main storyline, random NPC's giving quests which are you normal type of go here do this/ save this person and return for xp/loot, you can also receive quests upon completing previous ones depending on what choices you made during the quest.

Each companion has its own storyline which adds to the lore and relationship you choose to have with the person, and your actions will often allow you to directly influence whether a companion is friendly or competitive towards you, the good thing is if you can get it to sway enough in either direction you can get passive bonuses in combat which is helpful.

the companion quests do a reasonable job of giving you more story and background to each of the companions and just like in Dragon age origins you can have romantic interaction with companions depending on choices you make through out the game.

There are a lot of quests and although some seem a little pointless most where interesting and fun to fully engage in from start to finish, and the quests are marked clearly in both the journal and in the transition map, which transports you between the varying parts of the city and the outskirts.

my Dragon Age 2 review Da2u.th

One of the reasons I wasn’t going to buy the game to start off with, was the path they decided to take which was to lead combat away from the more tactical paused based strategy and make it more of a Mass Effect 2 clone with a more fast paced and action rpg designed battle system, well I was pleasantly surprised, yes you can play it as a direct action rpg on lower difficulty settings but if you turn the difficulty up you will still need to use the pause button to order commands to your party, of which you can have a total of four at any given time.

I believe there are a total of 9 or 10 possible companions you can have, and switching between them is much more stream-lined in this game, as the only real things you need to worry about with companions is accessories like rings and a main and off weapon. The main armor is not something you can directly switch out, but rather can be upgraded and have rune slots added at various points in the game.

my Dragon Age 2 review Da9q.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da14.th

This game has a huge loot pool and most of it is for the main character and at the start of the game you get to choose between being a male or female MAGE, WARRIOR, or ROGUE but no matter what choice you make you will still play as Hawke, also this game introduces a Junk feature which sorts loot into items that are useless except for generating income, this is all stored in your junk tab and as a quick and easy one button sell feature to clear it out easily.

Once again you can add runes to weapons and armor to upgrade them as well as craft potions and bombs, poisons etc, you must find the required recipe and ingredients before you can produce them, and reproducing them is very simple after that, by just visiting a merchant or your home base.

Fighting is a blast, it really is, once again you can directly play as any of the party members you like, pausing and issuing attacks manually, i really like the defining of roles in this game, more so than in dragon age origins, my main party always consists of a main tank which generates threat on multiple mobs, a warrior dps 1 healer/dps and a ranged dps. as stated earlier, on lower settings you can play the game as a hack 'n' slash, but bump the game up to hard or higher and you have to pause and view the battle feild and act accordingly which is always fun, especially when a plan falls in place well.

my Dragon Age 2 review Da10x.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da11.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da12.th

it’s fast paced and enjoyable, as well as the enjoyable combat I feel as though you can level slightly more quickly in this game, when either yourself or your companions level up you can manually add attributes and abilities or have them done automatically,

my Dragon Age 2 review Da8.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da7z.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da6o.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da5v.th

as well as that you have a a lot of control over what tactics your companions directly have in battle and I think its better than the first.

my Dragon Age 2 review Da4de.th

Graphics are very nice, with lovely shading and colours, and of course the sound track is once again very good, along with sound effects and voice acting.

my Dragon Age 2 review Unledirg.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da16.th

my Dragon Age 2 review Da15.th

Now for the cons to this game, I feels like it was made for a console, they have taken away a lot of control over companions as mentioned earlier regarding armor etc which I loved having control over in the first,

my Dragon Age 2 review Da3p.th

as well as that, the only real gripe I have with the game is the whole game (30-40hrs) is set in or around the city of Kirkwall, and you will see a whole lot of the same areas, dungeons and caves, they have copy/pasted a lot in this game, and although I looks great I feel they were very lazy in this regard, 1 prime example of this is visiting the same cave for a different quest-line and finding a grey slab blocking of a door they don’t want you to go in…meh lazy in my view.

Following recent trends there is downloadable packs for this game, which include weapon and armor packs specifically designed for one of the three roles you choose, and a small expansion pack called Legacy, and although this reviewer hasn’t played through it, I have heard it is unpolished.

So all and all I have enjoyed this game, it is a lot of fun, I think what some of you might have to do, is say oh hey is in the dragon age universe but I shouldn’t relate and expect it to be like origins.

the game would suit people that enjoy action rpg's it has a good if not great story and i think as a stand alone game it holds its own very well Personally I don’t think of it as a sequel to origins, but more of a game that adds to lore and fleshes out the world of Thedas.

the game has decent reply value due to being able to play as different job classes, as well as that because you can choose to react and respond differently during dialog with NPC's and companions you might end up with some different quests or relationships with others, one thing that i personally shutter about is although all those points about replay value are valid i would have to play through the game in the same areas yet again, it was starting to wear very thin by the end of the second act, i personally couldn't see myself play it again.

I liked it and have given it an 8/10, which some of you might say is very high, but compared to the 9.5/10 I gave the first it was still a slight let down overall, I would have loved to explore more of Thedas, would have liked more game time and more control over my companions.

System requirements:
Recommended:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Processor or equivalent
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 Triple core 2.8 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 2GB (4 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
Video: NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DirectX 11: ATI 5850 or greater
DirectX 11: NVIDIA 460 or greater

Minimum:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater
RAM: 1 GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Video: Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB cards
Disc Drive: DVD ROM drive required
Hard Drive: 7 GB
Sound: Direct X 9.0c Compatible Sound Card Windows Experience Index: 4.5

I am playing the game on the notebook in my sig and have the game at max settings with Vsync off.
So hopefully that was helpful to you all if you have any questions please feel free to ask
Back to top Go down
http://mwnclan.omgforum.net/forum.htm
unrealMWN
Sergeant
Sergeant
unrealMWN

PostSubject: Re: my Dragon Age 2 review   my Dragon Age 2 review Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 am

Nice review mate. Very helpful and lots of information.
Looks like something I might have to buy soon.
Back to top Go down
Strazdas
Commander
Commander
Strazdas

PostSubject: Re: my Dragon Age 2 review   my Dragon Age 2 review Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 4:02 am

im glad you liked it as many reviews i saw hated it. It is a shae they copy-pasted the areas. And while many games that come off lately (gta 4, mafia 2, crysis 2, ect) is too badly optimized this can still run on my laptop!
Back to top Go down
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army
shadow

PostSubject: Re: my Dragon Age 2 review   my Dragon Age 2 review Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:13 pm

yeah, overall i enjoyed the game, if i try to compare it with origins it falls way short, it was more fat paced and to be honest i wouldn't be surprised if it was actually designed around the real money maker in consoles this time round., and way it was a good game im glad i ended up playing it.....but i wont be in a hurry to play through it a second time.
Back to top Go down
http://mwnclan.omgforum.net/forum.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my Dragon Age 2 review   my Dragon Age 2 review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my Dragon Age 2 review
Page 1 of 1