HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
welcome to the forums guys please keep active and enjoy your stay....REMEMBER TO BOOKMARK THE SITE!
MwN Ventrilo info: shadow.typefrag.com port: 13082 feel free to use

Share | 

Biological Computing? The future perhaps?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LynX
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 am

Ok before i think up a good reply for the ethics and community topic... here's an interesting thought:

With this day an age, we are amazed by things such as 3D movies and incredibly insanely powerful computer processing.
But with the study of biological power generation and things like this going on around the world, imagine what will happen when someone begins to invent some form of biological computer processor. I mean, imagine the processes bio technology cld do?! the scary thing is that this technology may start thinking for itself and evolving. that is what im afraid of =/

so what do u think? Biotechnology computing may be possible int he future? and effects it may have?

im not sure if it would be a good thing or a bad thing... at least our computer's cant think themselves, they are all programmed. but then again, imagine what a bio-computer cld acheive Very Happy

General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:29 am

its a double edged sword my friend, already the internet has some of the most helpful resources on it but its muddled in with some of the worst things known to man.....i think in and of itself the improvements in tech cant be held responsible but we have to look at the individual using the material, again this could fall into the social and ethical components of man kind.

Biotechnology computing is definitely going to happen i feel fairly sure about that, what effects will it have on us as a race.......hmmm well that is going to depend completely on the limits set when created and how mankind uses it for either positive or negative results......

M17xR2, i7-740QM @3.23Ghz, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Logitech G9x gaming mouse - Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headphones
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mwnclan.omgforum.net/forum.htm
Strazdas
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:04 pm

They had 3D movies in 50s, they got bored of it. Its not new technology, just a fashion trend.
Now as i finished my ranting i believe that biotechnology will happen. That would basically be a creation of conciuosness and ultimate proof that there is no soul however, therefore a lot of people who believe in higher power are trying to wish it away in any means possible. I however believe that the future has other plans in store for us, but thats for another topic. If we indeed create a computer that can learn and think for itself the computer would still have to use logic as its highest sensor. And following that he will realize that humans are destroying earth, destroying eachother, egoistic self-righteriuos people. What will it do then, what we will allow him to do then is another question (terminator anyone?)
I do not see how biology is a need for the creation like that however, because brain chemistry is still a very unrealiable supercomputer that run on electrodes in nerves, so if we could extract the electrode patern we could get rid of the whole biological part of it, and move into pure physics part of it. But i guess that is still beyond the vision of most. people still fear that there is going to be mosnters coming out of the ground near atomic plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valgaard
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: heya   Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Issac Assimov said it best

The Five Laws of Robotics are a complex set of algorithms that were created to ensure that artificial intelligences (such as bots) could never malfunction in a dangerous or violent manner.

These algorithms are stored in a special module within the bot brain, called the asimov circuit. Each algorithm is patterned thousands of different ways, each with countless redundancy circuits and failsafe backup pathways to absolutely guarantee that the asimov circuit as a whole can never, ever, EVER possibly fail. Not even a little bit.

Honest.

The logic behind the Five Laws of Robotics is comparatively simple - easily rendered into plain English as follows:

1.A robot may not, through action or inaction, allow The Computer to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey any order from The Computer, except when doing so would conflict with the 1st Law.
3.A robot may not, through action or inaction, allow any of The Computer's valuable property (including the human Citizens of Alpha Complex, (except for traitors)) to come to harm, except when doing so would conflict with the 1st or 2nd Laws.
4.A robot must obey any order given it by a Citizen, unless that order conflicts with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Laws, or unless that Citizen is a traitor.
5.A robot must seek to preserve his own existence, unless doing so would conflict with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Laws.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valgaard
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: oops   Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 pm

the wrong copy past lol

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valgaard
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: heya   Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 pm

you could even remove that last post mr woogiemonster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WoogieMonster
Moderator of the army
Moderator of the army

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:26 pm

*yawn* I'm too sleepy.

Oddly, I seriously don't care if computers took over the world. I've thought about it for a few minutes, contemplating current events, world affairs, and of course my own experiences. I have to say I think human eradication would be a good thing.

As far as advanced computing goes, I'm of the "the more powerful, the better" mindset. People have often (and inaccurately) made comparisons between the human brain and the CPU, so why not just give my computer an artificial brain?

Yeah yeah I know there are certain groups of people who will be against the idea, but again I don't care. Their anger would please the BloodGod.
Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strazdas
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 am

Valgaard, doubleposting? there is Edit button.

Woogies laws has one large flaw. the traitor exception. If there were a way to tell robot somone is a triator, he could hard that somebody without hesitation. Now imagine "the computer" would classify everyone as traitor. and the safety system fails. Also as complex as system is, there is always a chance of failure.

Btw i love issac assimov aswell Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
charlesR
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:32 am

Human and computer hybrids have always been a theoretical possibility, but not an actual likelihood. Now, two new developments bring biological computing closer than ever. The two brand new improvements in creating human-computer hybrids are getting this closer. Biological transistors and skin-based touchpads have now been developed and even tested. These developments and others have been making the possibility of biologically compatible computers more likely. Medical science is especially interested in the possibility, as programmable, biologically neutral computers would be able to improve diagnostics. Medical science is not the only use for these developments, but it is sure to be one of the first uses. Truly usable, commercial biological computers are likely to be years, if not decades away. These developments, however, are two major steps toward the reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strazdas
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 am

Nice to see a new face, welcome.

I would like to add in as well that they recently created a limb replacement which looks and feels like the real deal. and i mean it has electronic nerves that would give signals to the brain and the wearer would feel just like he would with the biological one, except it would be much more redundant. If that isnt a step towards a cyborg then what is.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:34 am

Welcome to the forums Charlie's, I'm away from my PC this week so will address these ideas more next week, they do pose some interesting possibilities, some of these ideas are fresh in my mind after playing through the latest Deus Ex game which raised some interesting ideas.

Anyway nice to see a few new members signed up, and look forward to hearing from you all again soon.

M17xR2, i7-740QM @3.23Ghz, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Logitech G9x gaming mouse - Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headphones
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mwnclan.omgforum.net/forum.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biological Computing? The future perhaps?   

Back to top Go down

Biological Computing? The future perhaps?
Page 1 of 1