HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
welcome to the forums guys please keep active and enjoy your stay....REMEMBER TO BOOKMARK THE SITE!
MwN Ventrilo info: shadow.typefrag.com port: 13082 feel free to use

Share | 

ethics and values in modern culture?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: ethics and values in modern culture?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:43 am

what do you guys think about these two ideas in a modern culture and society.....

i personally think in a age of technology we need these ideas more than ever, ethics in our life and values as a community could go along way to gaining more stability in the world and may even reduce wars and volience as well.......id love to hear what your thoughts are about these and what things in life you hold as ethically important and why they are important?

cheers

M17xR2, i7-740QM @3.23Ghz, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Logitech G9x gaming mouse - Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headphones
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mwnclan.omgforum.net/forum.htm
WoogieMonster
Moderator of the army
Moderator of the army

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:28 pm

I think the big problem is that different people have different values and therefore different ethical standards. Or maybe it's the reverse and the different ethical standards cause us to value different ideas. I don't know, there are just too many variables (culture, race, lifestyle, religion, upbringing, social status, living environment, etc) for me to put together a simple, non-ranting answer.

As far as what I personally hold as important: keeping my family and close friends happy and healthy, and helping people who honestly need help if I have the means to help them. I also place a high value on personal friendships and relationships.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:04 pm

i agree its very difficult to state a certain thing as being the one right answer (there is no right answer just a sharing of information and a acceptance or understanding or others beliefs), but i would agree with all those ideas that you hold important....ok how about if i ask it in a different way....

do you think we in the west have changed what is important, do you believe family, and friendships and community is as important now as it was say 50 years ago?, or have we as a culture shifted and placed power and material items as being as important or even more important?

im not trying to say religion or belief is the key just try to s=think about what others see as important.......

M17xR2, i7-740QM @3.23Ghz, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Logitech G9x gaming mouse - Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headphones
Back to top Go down
LynX
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:07 pm

ah bloody hell, i had a huge comment i had written here, but before i had posted it somebody exited my window on my computer... damn, i'll see if i can try start over.

right, as i was saying:

(lean back, get yourself a drink and be prepared to endure a long read) Razz

I certainly agree with everything you guys have mentioned, especially with WoogieMonster's quote:

WoogieMonster wrote:
"the big problem is that different people have different values and therefore different ethical standards. Or maybe it's the reverse and the different ethical standards cause us to value different ideas."

This is a very interesting subject and the effects of these points are becoming more and more apparent as each day passes. As we speak, more religions and beliefs seem to appear out of nowhere, creating more chance for people to become more individualised. I think the human race is becoming less and less of a community as it used to be.

Shadow asked:
shadow wrote:
"do you think we in the west have changed what is important, do you believe family, and friendships and community is as important now as it was say 50 years ago?, or have we as a culture shifted and placed power and material items as being as important or even more important?"

Family, friendships and community are the only things that really make up 'the human being' i believe. The world would be horrifically tedious if it were not this case. Ok, if we backtrack to say, ancient Egypt, we will see are much much more community related culture. Just take a look at the wonders around the globe, eg the Pyramids, Mayan Temples and cities.. They had absolutely none of the technology we have these days whatsoever. Their only tool was man-power and the shear amount of people required to complete day to day tasks. What im saying is that today, a superstructure is simply built by accurate machinery and computer generated graphical plans, there is no WOW factor to these buildings, compared with, say, the Egyptian Pyramids. Thats a small example of a hard-working community with very little opportunity for people to become individuals.

Im probably slipping of track here but i think i have an interesting concept on these ideas.. I believe that a long time ago, humans had more of a contact between each other. And slowly as time has progressed, people have slipped apart and become so damn individual that whatever connection there may have been is no longer evident. A lot of the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs have been translated to show some sort of spiritual connection to each other, like they could almost communicate to each other in other ways than simply talking or seeing each other, even over large distances. I once read a book based on this interesting idea, and it made me wonder about community in this day and age.
All we see now is violence, and not a hell of a lot else really. People as a tight community have been slowly pulled apart by various aspects in life today.. be it technology, religion or race, or anything, you name it.. I believe everyone has become too individualised, causing this unknown connection between humans to be lost.

Here's an example of this kind of connection:
if you ever see a super-swarm of birds, they fly together in a group that is impossible to see through because of how closely packed they are... They fly at insane speeds and dive and duck and dodge all over the place. but one fact intrigues me: they never ever collide with each other, not once. They sure as hell dont just chirp at each other and say "get out of the way!" There is definitely some unknown connection enabling them to communicate with split-second reaction speed to allow this. Interesting or not? i think so.

So, call me crazy or whatever hahaha, but i truly think humans have the power to connect to each other, be it spiritual or via souls i dont know, but over time we have lost this. I think it may be from the effects of individualisation and/or the breakdowns of society and connections to each other. I trust that communication between each other with friendship, love, family, community, or whatever is extremely important. There is no way we can possibly turn to materials and hierarchy or power as a substitute. People have already lost their touch with each other far too long ago as we have slipped apart over time. I find it all very though provoking.

I know there is no way for me to be right or even have the slightest idea of what really goes on, but i feel like its worth a try me believing in some things.

Also, i apologise for the seemingly endless babble i just wrote up haha. But if you did manage to read it all, i think it has some connection with what you guys have been talking about.

Cheers.

General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 am

so you have made some really interesting points, and we can go in many directions from your one post. Cool

so first of you said "Family, friendships and community are the only things that really make up 'the human being' i believe."

and although i agree it is a huge part of a human make-up it is probably stronger in some of the animal species on earth today, elephants, dolphins, bees etc etc all show a stronger bond with there family....i think we as a western culture are moving away and losing the values of a family, community society.

you also said " I believe that a long time ago, humans had more of a contact between each other. And slowly as time has progressed, people have slipped apart and become so damn individual that whatever connection there may have been is no longer evident."

are you hinting toward a group awareness that birds, bees, wolves etc show?...if so that's a very interesting point, would it help us in modern culture, maybe not so much as a good family environment, with values and ethics, but it does seem to hint towards a lack of trust or comradeship in today's culture....do i think there is a awareness possible between humans, most defiantly, is it common these days...?......NO

interesting views mate, nice one and keep them coming....

Back to top Go down
xNomaD
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 am

Id know if this counts but I want to get the whole PC Gaming World together, enough noob and pro stuff, its bullshit, not needed. We're family we need to stick like it.

Moderator of the army
Moderator of the army

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:43 am

Another thing that contributes to the increasing division among people is that as a whole we do not need each other as much as we did in the old days. What I mean is (for example):
Nomad is a master blacksmith and metal-worker. He makes the tools I need to work my land.
I have crops and grazing fields that have to be taken care of because Shadow needs feed for his animals.
Me and Nomad both depend on Shadow's animals for meat, eggs, milk, wool etc.
So we all work together and trade to keep the community alive and healthy.

But with today's resources, we could each run our separate lands completely independent of the others. It's not a bad thing, but in a certain way it's not that great of a thing either, because now there's a chance we would never even meet, and you guys will never get to taste my awesome chip dip. Individually we're each a little stronger because we are less dependent, but as a community in my opinion we have taken a hit.

On the subject of the pro / newb gaming, that strikes a little close to home for me. I've always been an advocate of fun gaming and having a good time. I don't tell a lot of people (well I guess I am now since it's the internet), but I used to be a pro gamer before I lost the use of my right arm. I was Halo 2 South-West champion for a while. I never cared who I was playing with as long as everyone was having fun, because I've always thought that was the purpose of gaming, to have fun.

Remember back when we used to hang out in the arcade, all crowded around the machines with the good games? You didn't care who was playing, you didn't care how long they made that quarter last, you just wanted to see the game and laugh when something good happened. And when somebody was doing really good, other people would actually give up their own quarters just to watch them keep playing. That's what gaming is to me, and what I wish it could go back to being. Not the arcade environment, but the fun and friendship of just enjoying the game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:46 am

woogiemonster you have hit the nail on the head my friend, but id refine your statement a bit if i was to say it, i would say we are still dependent on others but we don't have to interact with them any longer, we can buy through agents, or online, we have removed ourselves from the interactions of others, the web is still there but we just don't see it any more, we don't see that for things like sugar we rely on Muslim and Hindu workers and farmers to produce sugarcane, we don't see that in order to drive somewhere we rely on a huge train of events to unfold to get us our petrol, we have become to independent, and because of this, the community aspects of our life are withdrawing, which is i believe making us as a whole more cold and dry.

and as both Nomad and WM have said its the same with gaming, firstly we all agree the whole purpose of gaming is to have fun, i also remember heading down to the arcade and watching some great players carve up in streetfighter or bubblebobble, and even myself with the Killer-instinct series, where one would be happy to give a 20 cent piece to see the guy continue if they died.......those days are gone with internet gaming.

i have been playing HoN which is as far as games go, a great fun and enjoyable game....BUT the community is one of the harshest communities i have ever playing within, the have zero tolerance for Newbies, they wont help, or suggest, they just abuse, blame and criticize the players on there team that are under performing...i was told to fk off and un-install the game as i was ruining it for everyone... lol! if i play team based shooters i do like to play in a even match, it makes the game much more enjoyable and rewarding but i think that's a little different from attacking and hassling newbies.......both Nomad and myself have seen this that is why Nomad created the community JFG (just fun gaming) and here at MwN our logo is we play hard but not at the cost of fun and friendship........

Back to top Go down
Strazdas
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:57 pm

I may not be very much in place barging in here but i have a totaly different opinion. Ethics are like relics. they lasted from the times were were not smart enough to see that it is nothing more than slavery. and those ancient rules still apply. like whenever talking about making food first though that barges in is that it is the womans job. just like it is a mans job to be a soldier. those false ethic boundaries among other has lasted since the times it was profitable for somone that we think that way. perfect example are some muslim countries nowdays - a woman may not leave the house without the agreement of her husband, because "man is smarter". Ethics and taboos are simply our fears that stops us back. We coudl sucesfully get rid of most of them and love a much happier life. Those that do usualyl end up on the wining side anyway.
Coming to values, the way i understand them, values are whats most important in life for us. i sohuld emphasize word us. values are egoistic thing. WE want to have friends, WE want to have family, WE want to be part of community, and we do not care if they want it or not, because thats what WE want. This does not amaze me, as humans are egoistic in nature and while some egoism shows as hoarding money and others egoism shows as psychological reward for helping homeless, we still do it because of it. In essence egoism cannot be bad, because that would mean everyone is bad. Oh wait, we are.
Coming to more eartly subject of gaming i am also of the opinion that gaming should be done for fun. I do not classify people to newbies or pros, i never try to "be pro" and just play it the way i like. The thing that fuels the whole Pros and Noobs fight is competition, and competition is basically being better than others. Jelousy and egoism at its finest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ethics and values in modern culture?   

Back to top Go down

ethics and values in modern culture?
Page 1 of 1