HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
welcome to the forums guys please keep active and enjoy your stay....REMEMBER TO BOOKMARK THE SITE!
MwN Ventrilo info: shadow.typefrag.com port: 13082 feel free to use

Share | 

Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3

Go down 
AuthorMessage
unrealMWN
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3   Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:59 am

Computer Parts Guide Part 3 14/8/2011

Part 3 -
Ultimate Gamer!- A Computer just for gaming that will offer you the best
experience that you could get. Price: $2500-$3000

This is the last part of the Computer Parts Guide for this month. I have decided that I will only be doing it every 2 months because otherwise the computer spec's will all be too similar. Hopefully you like this last part!

Ultimate Gamer PC- Budget: $3000

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-990X Processor Extreme Edition LGA 1366 $1000
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 $195
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 12GB Triple Chanel kit DDR3 1600MHz $90
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GV-R699D5-4GD-B $760
PSU: Corsair Professional Series™ HX850 — 80 PLUS® Silver Certified Modular Power Supply $175
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series™ H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler $92
Case: Coolermaster HAF X (RC-942-KKN1) $190
Optical Drive: SATA DVD-RW $20
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB $80
SSD: Patriot Wildfire 120GB SATA III $285
Total Price: $2887

This PC deserves a great monitor. I recommend this monitor to everyone with a setup similar to this. It does go over the $3000 budget by $400, but for a gaming rig like this you would be wasting money not getting a great monitor like this. This monitor is 24" with a resolution of 1920x1080 and has a contrast ratio of DC 20,000,000:1 (3000:1).
BenQ BL2400PU- $400

CPU: The Intel® Core™ i7-990X Extreme Edition Processor is a LGA 1366 socket CPU, it is a 6 core processor with a clock speed of 3.46GHz and a max turbo frequency of 3.73GHz. The processor has a 12MB Cache, supports up to 24GB of memory in 3 different memory channels and does not have integrated graphics. This CPU performs extremely well in games, there isn't much of a difference in performance against the i7 2600k but in the future when games can render more than 4 cores this CPU will perform a lot better than the new i7 2600k and i5 2500k in games.

Motherboard: The Asus Sabertooth X58 is a LGA 1366 socket motherboard. Chipset: Intel X58. The motherboard supports 24GB of memory in triple channel. It has 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (dual at x16/x16 mode), 1x PCIe x16 (at x4 mode), 2x PCIe x1 slots and 1 regular PCI slot. it has 6x SATA 3Gb/s connectors and 2x SATA 6Gb/s connectors. Lastly, It has lots of cool features such as 2-SLI and Quad-GPU CrossFireX support, Supports Drive Xpert Technology, CeraM!X Premium ceramic-coating technology provides best heat dissipation, TUF Capacitors, Chokes and MOSFETS Certified by military standard to ensure ultimate durability, Efficient Switching Power (E.S.P) Higher Power Efficiency; Higher Reliability, and MemOK! Any Memory is A-OK!.

Graphics Card: The Gigabyte GV-R699D5-4GD-B is the Radeon HD 6990, it has a 830MHz core clock, 5000MHz memory clock, 4GB of GDDR5 memory, and has a 256bit memory bus, it is also a PCI-E 2.1 card. It's max resolution is 2560x1600 and has 4 display ports and only one DVI port. This card is outstanding and will max out all games with the right CPU, e.g.: i7 990x.

Memory: The G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR memory is 12GB of DDR3 1600MHz ram, it is a triple channel kit with 9-9-9-24 timing. Lastly it has features such as compatability with Intel Core i7 processors and X58 platforms, Optimized 1.5V low voltage, and Intel XMP ready.

Powersupply: The Corsair HX850 is a 80 PLUS Silver certified powersupply and is fully modular. It's an ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 powersupply and its maximum load is 850Watts. It has 6x 6+2 pin connectors for graphics cards, 12 SATA connectors, 12 peripheral connectors, 2 floppy connectors, 1 8 pin EPS connector and 1 20+4 pin main connector. Lastly it has features such as Continuous power output rated at 50°C, Industrial Components for Higher Performance, Flat Modular Cables, and High Efficiency Circuitry Design.

CPU Cooler: The Corsair Hydro Series H80 is a liquid cooling system. It is compatible with AMD AM2 / AM3, Intel LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2015 sockets. The fans can go from 1300rpm to 2500rpm for maximum cooling. It also has features such as a double-thick radiator and two 120mm fans, it can be installed almost anywhere you can install a standard 120mm PC case fan, and includes mounting brackets for all modern CPU sockets, and tubing: Low-permeability for near-zero evaporation. This CPU cooler will allow you to overclock the nuts off of your CPU by keeping it very cool even with very high CPU frequency's.

Case: The Coolermaster HAF X RC-942 case is a ATX full tower case and is 230mm wide, 599mm high and 550mm deep and weighs 14kg. It has 6 external 5.25" drive bays, 5 internal 3.5" drive bays, 2 external 2.5" drive bays and 9 expansion slots. It also has 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 200mm top fan and a spot for a additional 200mm top fan, 1x 200mm side fan and 1x 230mm front LED fan. Lastly, the case has rubber gromits for advanced cable management. This case is fantastic with heaps of airflow, room for massive computer parts and has great cable management capability.

HardDrives: The Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX is a 1TB hard drive with 7200rpm disk speed, it has a 64MB cache and has a SATA 6.0Gb/s interface. Lastly the Patriot Wildfire PW120GS25SSDR is a 2.5" 120GB SATA III Solid State Drive which runs on the Sandforce 2200 processor. Its sustained sequential read is up to 555MB/s, its sustained sequential write is up to 520MB/s and has a 4KB Random write up to 85,000 IOPS. These two hard drives are excellent and will offer you great performance.

I Hope Part 3 was useful to you in your future computer upgrades. There wont be another guide until October. So thanks for reading all 3 parts to my August computer parts guide and I look forward to doing it in October.
All parts price at NewEgg.com.
Yours Faithfully,
<MwN>Unreal'*'

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strazdas
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3   Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 pm

liquid cooling, why would you want to overclock this processor anyway, it can handle it all without it. or has the technology went so much backwards (or rather its not only HP anymore) that normal fans are no longer enough?

Also, for geeforce alternative i guess the 580 is the only choice atm?

P.S.
Quote :
<...>with a clock speed of 3.46GHz and a max turbo frequency of 3.73GHz
So intel solved the waves problem? i mean the reason they started making dual-core processors was that the wavelenght going above 3,4something would become so different it wont work with the architecture (due to its physical properties) and thus thy couldnt go forward with speed and went with just adding more cpus.
or maybe they are simply overclocking it to work like that when the actual frequency is still within correct wavelenght (been done before)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadow
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3   Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:09 pm

really good guide mate, very well written and very informative, really appreciate you taking the time to do it, great job, looking forward to future installments + rep to you good sir.

Strazdas i think if you wanted a Nvidia equivalent you could get the GTX590 but at $300 or so more than the AMD i wouldn't see why you would, and yes liquid cooling seems to be the preferred cooling method for high end gaming desktops, especially when overclocking, and although that machine will handle everything thrown at it, being able to overclock the cpu and gpu's will greatly increase the lifespan of the machine and at 3k that is a big factor.

and im not sure about the waves, but in my notebook my i7 has a downclocked speed of 1.73Ghz for normal activities but it clocks out at 2.93Ghz when i game or use other cpu intensive tasks, in this way saving power and reducing heating of the unit when the full cpu power isn't needed, im guessing that's what the Turbo frequency is referring to

M17xR2, i7-740QM @3.23Ghz, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Logitech G9x gaming mouse - Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headphones
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mwnclan.omgforum.net/forum.htm
unrealMWN
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3   Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 am

Strazdas wrote:
liquid cooling, why would you want to overclock this processor anyway, it can handle it all without it. or has the technology went so much backwards (or rather its not only HP anymore) that normal fans are no longer enough?

Overclocking the cpu is optional, you dont have to do it if you dont want to mate. I only put it there as a suggestion because some people might want to and it also increases the performace of the cpu (obviously)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strazdas
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3   Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 am

yes some people want to overclock. i guess we will jut have to leave it at that.
Quote :
being able to overclock the cpu and gpu's will greatly increase the lifespan of the machine and at 3k that is a big factor.
Actually, no. overlcoking greatly reduces the lifespan of the hardware (as in they break down). however since the popular trend is new pc every 3 years and game designers sees to jump the train and totally forgot what is optimization i guess it doesnt matter. i mean you dont care if your cpu burns out in 5 years instead of 10 if you buy new one in 3 years.

Quote :
and im not sure about the waves, but in my notebook my i7 has a downclocked speed of 1.73Ghz for normal activities but it clocks out at 2.93Ghz when i game or use other cpu intensive tasks, in this way saving power and reducing heating of the unit when the full cpu power isn't needed, im guessing that's what the Turbo frequency is referring to
That is al fine as it doesnt reach close to 3.4ghz.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3   

Back to top Go down

Computer Parts Guide: August 2011 - Part 3
Page 1 of 1